Saturday, March 5, 2011

Yoga and the Philosophy


Iyengar writes that yoga is a lifestyle. He lists how yoga brings a man closer to god and how the yogi is the paragon of being human. Now, I don’t believe in god, nor do I fully endorse his beliefs about how to be a yogi. However, I do see how the practice can become a lifestyle and how it can help you become a better version of yourself.

In a discussion about yoga between my partner and me, we were going back and forth about the validity of the medical benefits of the practice and the discourse of its lifestyle. Yoga is a spiritual practice, so how can a non-spiritual person reap what the practice has to offer?

For example, Iyengar mentions, “the yogi believes that to kill or to destroy a thing of being is to insult its Creator.” Which is why a lot of yogis practice vegetarianism or veganism. I, for one will not become a vegetarian anytime some because I believe all beings have different proposes and even though I am an animal lover, I believe that certain animals survive only because they are a food source. Just because we have reason and intellect doesn’t mean that we aren’t animals too.  (I respect all life forms and I do believe there are healthier ways to kill animals for their meat.) It is not a perfect belief, but then again, I am not a perfect being.
 Iyengar also writes, “He [the yogi] knows that his life is linked inextricably with that of others and he rejoices if he can help them to be happy. He puts the happiness of other, before his own and becomes a source of joy to all who meet him.” Now, I like this mantra, I really do, however my partner brought up some interesting points against this. Focusing the happiness of other instead focusing on your own happiness could be problematic. People’s self interest are not always the same as your and this could led to problems with your our wellbeing. I think most of us can think of one example in which doing something for someone else was not in our own self-interest. That being said, I interpret Iyengar’s words as looking outside of our own greedy and materialistic desires for the path to self happiness. He does mention that “the desire to possess and enjoy what another has, drives a person to do evil deeds.” Instead of focusing on what we lack or don’t have, I think recognizing our strengths, accepting our weaknesses, and working towards the best version of ourselves will lead to happiness for us and others.

The point is, that we as yogi should learn the meaning behind the practice, but it is equally, if not more important to recognize what is best for YOU. I propose that questioning your intentions and the philosophy of the practice will help you deepen and get the most out of yoga and help you challenge yourself further. Just because you like or love something, doesn’t mean you should blindly accept all of its mantras without question. To be the best form of yourself, you should question and reflect upon your motives. What can be better place for this deep inquiry than yoga?

No comments:

Post a Comment