Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fat, what a loaded word.  Once upon a time, fatness indicated wealth and prosperity.  Those times have long gone.  Now it is a fat that brings such heated debates about excess, health and beauty. Americans, in particular are often accused of being a culture that revels in its fatness. But, I suspect that most people “reveling in their fatness” don’t see it that way.  At 5’3’’ and 183lbs, I never imagined I would be labeled as fat.  I anyways had problems with my weight and been known to fluctuate between sizes 4-13.  Now I am a solid 13ish and am simply tired of feeling shame and anger for my size.
I have trouble fitting into my fat-pants from my undergrad days as well as tighter fitting tops.  It is saddening, but the self hate does help the situation.  I realize that a good amount of people are against the fat positive movement, however I believe it is on the grounds that it is somehow promoting laziness and bad health.   I don’t believe that.  I do believe that exercising and eating right are important no matter what size one is.  Some of us will never be tiny people and that’s that. The best thing we can do is actively live a healthy lifestyle.
Which brings me to the yoga practice. I have been an avid practitioner for about 4 years now. I cannot believe it has been that long… I stumble upon the yoga practice as an AmeriCorps volunteer and have not looked back since.  Sure there have been loooong hiatus, but I always come back to the practice; I always come back home.  I’ve had self acceptance issues for as long as I can remember, luckily the yoga practice helps my focus on my strengths and acknowledge but not dwell on my weakness.
In writing this blog, I hope I can keep the positive energy strong and focused to better accept my life, my weight and all the nuances in between.

3 comments:

  1. Ifi, thanks for sharing your blog. I also believe in being "fat positive" but at the same time you need to take care of yourself, you are so right. I have been exercising 4-5 times a week for the past year now and my body is capable of alot of physical exertion however my weight hasn't changed much, maybe 15-20 pounds less. But how I feel is amazing. I have a certain friend who labels themselves fat positive but is also anti exercise and eats whatever they want. I don't believe that accepting yourself means you should just let yourself totally go like that. Trust me though, I've been in that boat. Weight has been a constant struggle for me all my life. But I'm so happy and proud of you that you love yourself even if you have gained weight! In my eyes a size 13 is not fat at all! But I guess to certain people it is, which is sad. We all aren't meant to be a size 4 and that's that.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a huge inspiration for me Amy! I am so honored and proud to have you in my life and miss you terribly girly!
    I find it so fucked up that somehow your size is any measurement of your abilities, talent, intellect, and so on.
    The point is, you rock and I rock and we have awesome non-human babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ifi,
    we need to get together sooN! this winter just sucks ass and i never feel like leaving the house once i'm hunkered down lol.
    where are you working out now? did you join a gym? I also can't wait for spring and summer and better biking weather. haven't touched my bike since november. it just sounds so amazing to think of biking again. can't wait!

    ReplyDelete